In the Spring of 2006, a questionnaire was conducted about the facilities at Eccles station. The questionnaire was conducted with the support of GMPTE and Salford City Council, and there were 180 replies.
Thank you to everyone who completed the survey. We are working with GMPTE and Northern Rail to resolve at least some of the identified problems.
Here is a summary of the findings...
- Age profile
- 16 – 24 23 (13%)
- 25 – 59 96 (54%)
- 60+ 58 (33%)
- Station usage
- 31 (17%) used the station more than 3 times each week
including 17% of those aged under 25, 24% of those between 25 and 60 and 7% of those over 60.
- 41 (23%) used it rarely or not at all
including 35% of those aged under 25, 17% of those between 25 and 60 and 27% of those over 60.
- 24 (13%) considered the station security to be good or fairly good
including 13% of those under 25, 12% of those between 25 and 60 and 15% of those over 60.
- 103 (57%) considered it poor or very poor
including 39% of those under 25, 69% of those between 25 and 60 and 48% of those over 60.
Comments in the free text section
Numbers refer to number of times each item was mentioned
- 91 More frequent train service
- 49 to "Manchester"
- 20 to Oxford Road / Piccadilly / Airport
- 20 to North Wales
- 1 Salford Central
- 1 Wigan
- 74 Better security
- Frequent references to feeling of isolation, vulnerability, threatening environment
- 66 Better shelters
- Criticism of recent removal of shelters. Request for replacement and seats in shelters
- 54 Longer staffing hours
- 39 Real time information
- Either screen or PA system, on platform and at street level
- 37 Better access
- Refer to difficulties with prams / wheelchairs / luggage
- 34 CCTV
- Comment that City Council CCTV is in place at edge of station forecourt; request that it be extended to the station steps and platforms
- 34 Improved lighting
- Acknowledgement that new lights on new steps are helpful but pleas for better lights along the platforms
- 18 Improved entrance
- Poor access across car park; unwelcoming appearance
- 17 Improvements to gardens on the platforms
- 13 Better signs to the station
- 10 Alarm phones on platforms
The full results with our comments have been sent to GMPTE, Northern Rail and Salford City Council.